The new Indoor Bowls season started with Cheesemakers showing that they would be a force to be reckoned with in the Premier Pairs as they beat Radical Heads 4-0 with a great show of bowling. The two other matches played in the League also ended with 4-0 results as GLS beat Villa Boys and Tee Pegs beat Villans.
In the Tuesday Morning League the reigning Champions Villans beat new team Bushwackers 4-2, Onchan Royals had a 6-0 victory over Thru the Gap and another new team Jacks on a Roll lost 4-2 to Cushags while Early Birds beat Hillbillies 4-2 and Ramsey Raiders beat Maxums with the same scoreline.
The First Division Pairs saw a promising start for favourites TOU who beat Enigma 4-0 and also having a good start were last seasons runners up Spinners who had a 4-0 victory over 1 in 4. The remaining two matches both ended in 2-2 draws with OK drawing with Super Hoops Terriers and Ramsey Wallys also drawing 2-2 with the Officials.
In the Wednesday evening, Premier Teams League we saw last years winners Villans beat DNA 6-0 while Saltire put up a spirited fight against Dragons before eventually going down 4-2. Cheesemakers drew 3-3 with Bay City Bowlers and Birdies took a 4-2 victory against Ramsey Raiders.
In the first Division Teams, we saw a great start from new team Ramsey Wallys as they showed good form to beat OK 6-0 while Oddballs also put up a strong performance to beat Cowley Cannonballs with a 6-0 scoreline and a close encounter between Optimists and Smugglers saw the latter team eventually run out with a 4-2 victory. In the remaining match of the night, we saw Maxums beat CAOS 6-0.
The new Friday Afternoon Pairs League was well supported with a turnout of ten teams and in this, we saw Dragons put on a good performance to beat High Jacks 4-0 while last years Second Division Pairs winners Sunset Rollers drew 2-2 with OK. Celtic Thunder beat Southpaws 4-0 while Cowley Cannonballs and Woodbourne Reds drew 2-2 and in the remaining game we saw Powered by Prosecco and Low Rollers play out the third 2-2 draw of the afternoon.
This then has seen the start of all Leagues except the Friday Night Mixed Singles League which is due to start on Friday the 23rd October and I have still to see the list of those competing in this but hope to preview it next week.
It was with great sadness that I learned of the death on 8th October of Eric Stanley who was a regular competitor in both Over 60’s Crown Green Bowling and Indoor Bowling. Eric will be remembered by many for the twinkle in his eye and his ‘wicked’ sense of humour but he also was one half of a formidable pairing with Tony Epifani in the Pairs Competitions in Indoor Bowls and they were the losing finalists in the Isle of Man Indoor Pairs Championship only a couple of years ago. Eric will be missed by so many in both Indoor Bowls and Crown Green Bowling.
The Premier Pairs and 1st Division Pairs fixtures have been amended. If you are in one the teams in either of these leagues, please can you check and make a note of the changes.
There are no byes in these leagues.
First division pairs
Monday 5th October saw the start of a new season of Indoor Bowling with one League dropped from the schedule but two new Leagues added. The Friday night Pairs Second Division League has been left out and replaced with a Friday afternoon Pairs League and the vacant Friday slot sees the start of an Open Singles Competition.
For this week I will look ahead to the new season and put my head on the block and tip my favourites for the League wins.
I start with the Premier Pairs and it would be foolish not to tip last years winners Young Guns but I have a feeling that this year the Cheesemakers will push them very hard and could possibly end up stealing their glory. Also somewhere in the mix, I expect to see Villans and Tee Pegs and possibly GLS could be up there mixing it with them.
Tuesday Morning League
The Tuesday Morning League sees the winners for the last three years Villans start as favourites and the addition of Phil Kerruish to their squad will add more strength in depth. Onchan Royals, however, have a very strong squad which has been reinforced with the addition of Muriel Cain and they are certainly in with a shout as I think are Ramsey Raiders.
In the Premier Team League, I would once again tip the last year’s winners Villans but I can see Dragons and Cheesemakers pushing them all the way to the winning post.
First Division Pairs
The First Division Pairs will see TOU as favourites for the win but I feel that Spinners who were last years runners up will be trying to eventually get the League win and as an outside bet I would be looking at two new teams the Officials and Ramsey Wallys as they both contain experienced and capable bowlers.
First Division Team
In the First Division Team, I think the winners will be either Spinners or Maxums and again I tip new team Ramsey Wallys to be somewhere in the running because of the quality of their bowlers although Smugglers and CAOS can’t be ruled out.
The new Friday afternoon Pairs Leagues will start with last years Second Division Pairs Winners the Sunset Rollers certainly in with a chance as is Cowley Cannonballs but, to be honest, there so many new teams in this that I find it hard to tip a winner.
The Friday night Singles League is starting a little later in the season so I will wait until I see the final line up before I make any predictions on this.
I end this week by wishing everyone good luck for the season and most importantly that they enjoy their bowling.
World Bowls & International Indoor Bowls Council Media Release
2021 World Bowls Indoor Championships Cancelled
With Coronavirus (Covid 19) continuing to be a major threat globally World Bowls along with its partners the International Indoor Bowls Council and Bowls Australia have after much discussion agreed to cancel the 2021 World Indoor Championships originally planned to be held in Australia.
As with all world championships they must be held in a climate which would ensure the best chance for competing countries to attend and send their elite players. The current restrictions of travel arrangements and quarantine periods would not allow that to happen.
World Bowls and its partners would like to convey their thanks to all stakeholders involved in determining this course of action which has been taken in the best interests of athletes, administrators, volunteers and spectators whose safety remains paramount in any decision making process.
The World Bowls Indoor Championships are scheduled to be rotated between the U.K. and Australia and we now look forward to the 2022 Championships which will be held in the U.K.
Saturday round robins
In the light of the cancellation, Saturday 3rd October will revert to a Round Robin Roll Up. Please arrive by 1.15 to check in for a 1.30 start.
An Extraordinary General Meeting has been called for Wednesday 8 July, 6 pm in the NSC Bowls Hall.
To cover the business intended for the 2020 AGM, namely…
- Welcome address
- Message from NSC Manager
- Minutes of the 2019 AGM
- Matters arising
- Treasurer’s Annual Report
- Matters arising
- Appointment of Auditor
- President’s Annual Report
- Presentation of League Trophies
- Annual Subscriptions
- Affiliation to the International Indoor Bowls Council
- Election of officers:-
- President – Win Kewley willing to re-stand
- Treasurer – Bernice McGreal willing to re-stand
- Secretary – Dee Lewis willing to re-stand
- Fixtures Officer – Tony Dugdale willing to re-stand
- Press Officer – Norman Kneen willing to re-stand
- Website Manager – Paula Garrett willing to re-stand
- Safeguarding Office – David Quirk willing to re-stand
- IIBC reps
The Committee proposes several revisions to the Constitution to bring it up to date and fit for purpose:
- 3 – Reference to World Indoor Bowls Council to be replaced by ‘World Bowls’.
- 4 – Insertion of the word ‘league’ to clarify which members are required to hold an annual contract with the NSC.
- 6 – Safeguarding Officer and Website Manager added to Committee Roles along with a requirement that the Committee should number 7 in case any of the roles are combined in the future.
- 6a – A requirement that the roles of President, Treasurer and Secretary should always be undertaken by 3 separate individuals to ensure good governance.
- 6e – The levels of Honoraria to be proposed and approved at each AGM.
- 13 – The AGM notice should be posted ‘at least’ 28 days in advance.
- 14 – Any motions for the AGM to be submitted by ‘the date shown on the AGM notice’.
- 15 – Replacement of WIBC with ‘IIBC’ and insertion of ‘up to’ £200 travel cost donation in line with receipts provided.
- General – re-numbering.
Proposed by Dee Lewis; Seconded by Win Kewley.
- Any other business – to include discussion and indications of interest in the following:
- The introduction of a Singles Qualifying Competition at the start of the season to select our playing representatives for the World Indoor Bowls Championships since the venue for this event is now to be alternated between Australia and England.
- The amalgamation of the current three Pairs Leagues into two and the introduction of a Friday morning Pairs League and a Friday evening Singles League.
- The appointment of an Island Games Selection Panel.
NSC Bowls Hall
Covid-19 Customer Information
Issue Date: Friday 12th June 2020
General Customer Guidelines
- If you have Covid 19 or flu symptoms stay at home.
- NSC changing rooms remain closed. Please ensure you are ready to participate when you arrive (with the exception of changing footwear).
- Toilets are available in the Lower atrium near the lift.
- Maintain social distancing measures throughout your visit.
- Use hand sanitation at the entrance and exit of the facility.
- Follow all signage and direction from staff, keeping to the left of corridors.
- Bring your own drinks in sealed water containers, water fountains are not in use at this time.
- If you feel unwell or sustain an injury, tell a member of staff immediately
- Arrive 10 minutes before your session starts to check in at reception
- All customers MUST have an MSR Scorecard with up to date personal information recorded on the NSC system for contact tracing purposes (should it be required).
- Customers must book in advance and have a confirmed time slot prior to attending.
- You may book up to 7 days in advance via the NSC Reception team on 688588 or via the online booking portal using your MSR Scorecard (msr.gov.im).
- If the fire alarm sounds, exit the building via the Bowls Hall Fire Exits or if in the corridor the nearest available Fire Exit.
- After your session, you will be required to leave the NSC via the rear exit to avoid unnecessary contact with other customers.
Bowls Specific Information
- Only rinks 1, 3 & 5 will be in operation at this time to permit space to allow social distancing.
- Each rink in use may be occupied by a maximum of 4 people playing in singles or pairs format subject to an overall maximum of l0 persons being in the Bowls Hall during any one session.
- If 4 players are using one rink; the 2 bowlers at each end must be from the same household.
- All bowlers must maintain social distancing when changing ends by using the vacant rinks or walkways.
- At this time the NSC Bowls Equipment cupboard will be locked and out of use. Please use your own bowls and shoes.
- NSC Jacks and Mats will be available next to a sanitising area in the Bowls Hall.
- If using NSC Jack / Mat, players will be responsible for disinfecting the equipment before and after use (cleaning materials available in the hall).
- Players to ensure equipment is not shared during their session, including:
- Ensuring you do not hand anyone a bowl or remove others’ bowls from the ditch.
- Using separate Jacks so only you are handling your own Jack.
- No shared measuring equipment to be used
- When carrying the mat to the opposite end of the rink after each end, the same person should do this each time
- If you already have a locker allocated to you inside the Bowls hall this may be used to store equipment (in line with the NSC Locker Policy).
- Only pre-booked Bowlers are permitted in the Bowls Hall at this time – no spectators.
- Please end your session at 50 minutes past the hour to ensure time to disinfect any Mats and Jacks, change shoes and be out of the hall prior to the arrival of the customers in the next session.
June 2020 Bowls Hall Opening Times
||09.00 – 11.00
14.00 – 19.00
|09.00 – 20.00
|14.00 – 16.00
18.00 – 20.00
|09.00 – 17.00
|09.00 – 20.00
|11.00 – 17.00
|11.00 – 17.00
There will be no additional charge for Annual Ticket Holders to use the Bowls Hall at this time. All customers Bowls Hall Memberships will be ‘unfrozen’ from Monday 12th June and their end date will be extended for a period of 12 weeks (the length of the COVID-19 Closure).
Customers who do not hold an Annual Ticket but do have an MSR Scorecard may book in as a Guest Bowler at a cost of £4.65 per session.
Card Payments only at this time please
(If Card cannot be used correct cash will be accepted – no change given)
You may book up to 7 days in advance via the NSC Reception team on 688588 or via the online booking portal using your MSR Scorecard (msr.gov.im). You must quote your MSR Scorecard Number (688588…) in order to make your booking.
Please note – in order to set up online bookings you will be required to have an MSR Scorecard and your email address accurately recorded on the NSC database (please email firstname.lastname@example.org to set this up)
This year’s AGM is postponed due to coronavirus, and the closure of the NSC facilities.
The last match night of the Indoor Bowls Association 2019/2020 season saw Young Guns take a well deserved Premier Pairs League Championship title despite being pushed all the way by Villans. On the night Young Guns beat Orange Peelers 4-0 and TOU also has a 4-0 win against Tee Pegs. Villans had a 4-0 win walkover over GLS who were unable to be there on the night and Cheesemakers also had the same result against Radical Heads. This saw Young Guns take the title after playing sixteen games without a loss, having won ten and drawing six.
This means that after a closely contested season that Young Guns are League Champions with 50 points and in second place are Villans on 46 points with Cheesemakers third on 43 points. In fourth place were Tee Pegs with 34 points followed by GLS on 29 points and then TOU with 24 points. In seventh place are Radical Heads with 21 points followed by Northern Nomads on the same points and finally Orange Peelers in ninth place with 20 points.
So at the conclusion of the season, the Champions are as follows:
- Premier Pairs – Young Guns
- First Division Pairs – Villa Boys
- Second Division Pairs – Sunset Rollers
- Premier Teams League – Villans
- First Division Teams – Spinners
- Tuesday Morning League – Villans.
This then brings us to the end of a very successful season which has seen a number of promising new players emerge and show that they will be a force to reckon with in the future.
Last week I mentioned that our Annual General Meeting was to be on the 27th March but sadly due to recent events it has been postponed and we will announce the new date as soon as we are in a position to do so.
In the penultimate round of the Indoor Bowling Association Premier Pairs on Monday 9th March, we saw Young Guns beat Northern Nomads 4-0 while Cheesemakers lost 4-0 to Tee Pegs and Orange Peelers and Radical Heads played out a 2-2 draw. The remaining team in the League Villans had a bye so this now leaves Young Guns top of the league on 46 points with Villans second on 42 points and Cheesemakers third with 39 points. Whilst I would normally just look at the top three I am going to cover all the league positions this week and we have Tee Pegs fourth with 34 points, GLS fifth with 29 points and then anyone of the teams below them could end in the bottom relegation place. In sixth place, we have Radical Heads on 21 points and in seventh place Northern Nomads also on 21 points followed by TOU and Orange Peelers both on 20 points.
I will continue my review of the remaining leagues which have now finished with a look back at the highly successful Tuesday Morning League which was won by Villans who were followed by Cushags and Ellan Vannin. I think we need to look at the true measure of Villans performance in this league as in the eighteen games played they won the first seventeen and drew the last one with Ellan Vannin. In doing this they amassed 94 points which saw them finish 25 points ahead of second-placed Cushags with an overall chalk difference of +355 while Cushags had a chalk difference of +24. A lot of credit though must go to Cushags for their well earned second place and although they are very competitive they are always a pleasure to play against and really seem to enjoy their bowling. Ellan Vannin in third place played well all season as ever and a special mention must go to Smooth Matters who were new to Indoor Bowling and improved throughout the season and achieved their aim not to finish bottom and hopefully come back next season to finish in a much higher position.
The First Division Team League was won by Spinners who won ten out of their fourteen games which saw them finish with 56 points and in second place came Maxums with 46 points and in third place were Smugglers who also finished with 46 points. It was nice to see three new teams in this league this year and we saw rapid improvement throughout the season from CAOS, Cowley Cannonballs and Girl Power.
Finally this week I would like to remind all members of the Isle of Man Indoor Bowling Association that the Annual General Meeting will be held at the NSC Bowls Hall on Friday 27th March at 6-30pm.
In a week that saw most Leagues finish their Indoor Bowling season, we saw some great bowling and one title still to be won.
The Premier Pairs League is the one which will run until 16th March and this saw Villans and Young Guns battle to a draw while Tee Pegs beat Orange Peelers 4-0 and GLS beat Radical Heads 3-1. In the final match of the night, there was a closely fought game between TOU and Northern Nomads which ended in a 2-2 draw.
First Division Pairs
The First Division Pairs saw top team Villa Boys beat second-placed Spinners 4-0 while third-placed Unbelievabowls beat 1 in 4 also with a 4-0 result and Kencoe beat Enigma 4-0. This then left Villa Boys top with 50 points, Spinners second on 38 points and Unbelievabowls third with 30 points.
Tuesday Morning League
In the final matches of the season in the Tuesday Morning League, we saw Champions Villans lose their 100% win record as they drew 3-3 with Ellan Vannin and second-placed Cushags also drew 3-3 with Thru the Gap. Ramsey Raiders beat Onchan Royals 4-2, Early Birds lost 6-0 to Maxums and Hillbillies beat Smooth Matters 4-2. The final positions then are Villans winners with 94 points, Cushags second on 69 points and Ellan Vannin third on 67 points.
With all the other Leagues finished this gives us a chance to cover the latest round of the Premier Pairs which was played just in time to be covered in this article. This saw Villans beat Northern Nomads 3-1 while Young Guns beat Radical Heads 4-0, GLS drew 2-2 with Tee Pegs and Cheesemakers beat Orange Peelers 4-0. With two matches left to go this leaves Villans top with 42 points followed by Young Guns also on 42 points and Cheesemakers third on 39 points. I have to say though that I think that Young Guns are now the favourites to win this league as Villans have a bye next week and Young Guns are unlikely to drop many points in their remaining two games.
I will end this week with a quick look back at the First Division and Second Division Pairs Leagues which have already finished and the performances of some of the teams in them.
First Division Pairs
In the First Division Pairs, we had an interesting battle between Spinners who had dropped down from the Premier Pairs the previous season and Villa Boys who were newly promoted from the Second Division. This was a relatively close thing up until the last three weeks when Spinners lost a few points and Villa Boys maintained their form to eventually win by twelve clear points.
Second Division Pairs
The Second Division Pairs was closely contested throughout the season and on the final night any one of three teams could have won it but it was Sunset Rollers who held their nerve to win the league by chalk difference over Reckless Rollers with Woodbourne Reds third. A special mention must go to Cowley Cannonballs who were complete newcomers but improved well and eventually missed out on third spot by one point.