World Bowls & International Indoor Bowls Council Media Release
2021 World Bowls Indoor Championships Cancelled
With Coronavirus (Covid 19) continuing to be a major threat globally World Bowls along with its partners the International Indoor Bowls Council and Bowls Australia have after much discussion agreed to cancel the 2021 World Indoor Championships originally planned to be held in Australia.
As with all world championships they must be held in a climate which would ensure the best chance for competing countries to attend and send their elite players. The current restrictions of travel arrangements and quarantine periods would not allow that to happen.
World Bowls and its partners would like to convey their thanks to all stakeholders involved in determining this course of action which has been taken in the best interests of athletes, administrators, volunteers and spectators whose safety remains paramount in any decision making process.
The World Bowls Indoor Championships are scheduled to be rotated between the U.K. and Australia and we now look forward to the 2022 Championships which will be held in the U.K.
Saturday round robins
In the light of the cancellation, Saturday 3rd October will revert to a Round Robin Roll Up. Please arrive by 1.15 to check in for a 1.30 start.
An Extraordinary General Meeting has been called for Wednesday 8 July, 6 pm in the NSC Bowls Hall.
To cover the business intended for the 2020 AGM, namely…
- Welcome address
- Message from NSC Manager
- Minutes of the 2019 AGM
- Matters arising
- Treasurer’s Annual Report
- Matters arising
- Appointment of Auditor
- President’s Annual Report
- Presentation of League Trophies
- Annual Subscriptions
- Affiliation to the International Indoor Bowls Council
- Election of officers:-
- President – Win Kewley willing to re-stand
- Treasurer – Bernice McGreal willing to re-stand
- Secretary – Dee Lewis willing to re-stand
- Fixtures Officer – Tony Dugdale willing to re-stand
- Press Officer – Norman Kneen willing to re-stand
- Website Manager – Paula Garrett willing to re-stand
- Safeguarding Office – David Quirk willing to re-stand
- IIBC reps
The Committee proposes several revisions to the Constitution to bring it up to date and fit for purpose:
- 3 – Reference to World Indoor Bowls Council to be replaced by ‘World Bowls’.
- 4 – Insertion of the word ‘league’ to clarify which members are required to hold an annual contract with the NSC.
- 6 – Safeguarding Officer and Website Manager added to Committee Roles along with a requirement that the Committee should number 7 in case any of the roles are combined in the future.
- 6a – A requirement that the roles of President, Treasurer and Secretary should always be undertaken by 3 separate individuals to ensure good governance.
- 6e – The levels of Honoraria to be proposed and approved at each AGM.
- 13 – The AGM notice should be posted ‘at least’ 28 days in advance.
- 14 – Any motions for the AGM to be submitted by ‘the date shown on the AGM notice’.
- 15 – Replacement of WIBC with ‘IIBC’ and insertion of ‘up to’ £200 travel cost donation in line with receipts provided.
- General – re-numbering.
Proposed by Dee Lewis; Seconded by Win Kewley.
- Any other business – to include discussion and indications of interest in the following:
- The introduction of a Singles Qualifying Competition at the start of the season to select our playing representatives for the World Indoor Bowls Championships since the venue for this event is now to be alternated between Australia and England.
- The amalgamation of the current three Pairs Leagues into two and the introduction of a Friday morning Pairs League and a Friday evening Singles League.
- The appointment of an Island Games Selection Panel.
NSC Bowls Hall
Covid-19 Customer Information
Issue Date: Friday 12th June 2020
General Customer Guidelines
- If you have Covid 19 or flu symptoms stay at home.
- NSC changing rooms remain closed. Please ensure you are ready to participate when you arrive (with the exception of changing footwear).
- Toilets are available in the Lower atrium near the lift.
- Maintain social distancing measures throughout your visit.
- Use hand sanitation at the entrance and exit of the facility.
- Follow all signage and direction from staff, keeping to the left of corridors.
- Bring your own drinks in sealed water containers, water fountains are not in use at this time.
- If you feel unwell or sustain an injury, tell a member of staff immediately
- Arrive 10 minutes before your session starts to check in at reception
- All customers MUST have an MSR Scorecard with up to date personal information recorded on the NSC system for contact tracing purposes (should it be required).
- Customers must book in advance and have a confirmed time slot prior to attending.
- You may book up to 7 days in advance via the NSC Reception team on 688588 or via the online booking portal using your MSR Scorecard (msr.gov.im).
- If the fire alarm sounds, exit the building via the Bowls Hall Fire Exits or if in the corridor the nearest available Fire Exit.
- After your session, you will be required to leave the NSC via the rear exit to avoid unnecessary contact with other customers.
Bowls Specific Information
- Only rinks 1, 3 & 5 will be in operation at this time to permit space to allow social distancing.
- Each rink in use may be occupied by a maximum of 4 people playing in singles or pairs format subject to an overall maximum of l0 persons being in the Bowls Hall during any one session.
- If 4 players are using one rink; the 2 bowlers at each end must be from the same household.
- All bowlers must maintain social distancing when changing ends by using the vacant rinks or walkways.
- At this time the NSC Bowls Equipment cupboard will be locked and out of use. Please use your own bowls and shoes.
- NSC Jacks and Mats will be available next to a sanitising area in the Bowls Hall.
- If using NSC Jack / Mat, players will be responsible for disinfecting the equipment before and after use (cleaning materials available in the hall).
- Players to ensure equipment is not shared during their session, including:
- Ensuring you do not hand anyone a bowl or remove others’ bowls from the ditch.
- Using separate Jacks so only you are handling your own Jack.
- No shared measuring equipment to be used
- When carrying the mat to the opposite end of the rink after each end, the same person should do this each time
- If you already have a locker allocated to you inside the Bowls hall this may be used to store equipment (in line with the NSC Locker Policy).
- Only pre-booked Bowlers are permitted in the Bowls Hall at this time – no spectators.
- Please end your session at 50 minutes past the hour to ensure time to disinfect any Mats and Jacks, change shoes and be out of the hall prior to the arrival of the customers in the next session.
June 2020 Bowls Hall Opening Times
||09.00 – 11.00
14.00 – 19.00
|09.00 – 20.00
|14.00 – 16.00
18.00 – 20.00
|09.00 – 17.00
|09.00 – 20.00
|11.00 – 17.00
|11.00 – 17.00
There will be no additional charge for Annual Ticket Holders to use the Bowls Hall at this time. All customers Bowls Hall Memberships will be ‘unfrozen’ from Monday 12th June and their end date will be extended for a period of 12 weeks (the length of the COVID-19 Closure).
Customers who do not hold an Annual Ticket but do have an MSR Scorecard may book in as a Guest Bowler at a cost of £4.65 per session.
Card Payments only at this time please
(If Card cannot be used correct cash will be accepted – no change given)
You may book up to 7 days in advance via the NSC Reception team on 688588 or via the online booking portal using your MSR Scorecard (msr.gov.im). You must quote your MSR Scorecard Number (688588…) in order to make your booking.
Please note – in order to set up online bookings you will be required to have an MSR Scorecard and your email address accurately recorded on the NSC database (please email firstname.lastname@example.org to set this up)
This year’s AGM is postponed due to coronavirus, and the closure of the NSC facilities.
The last match night of the Indoor Bowls Association 2019/2020 season saw Young Guns take a well deserved Premier Pairs League Championship title despite being pushed all the way by Villans. On the night Young Guns beat Orange Peelers 4-0 and TOU also has a 4-0 win against Tee Pegs. Villans had a 4-0 win walkover over GLS who were unable to be there on the night and Cheesemakers also had the same result against Radical Heads. This saw Young Guns take the title after playing sixteen games without a loss, having won ten and drawing six.
This means that after a closely contested season that Young Guns are League Champions with 50 points and in second place are Villans on 46 points with Cheesemakers third on 43 points. In fourth place were Tee Pegs with 34 points followed by GLS on 29 points and then TOU with 24 points. In seventh place are Radical Heads with 21 points followed by Northern Nomads on the same points and finally Orange Peelers in ninth place with 20 points.
So at the conclusion of the season, the Champions are as follows:
- Premier Pairs – Young Guns
- First Division Pairs – Villa Boys
- Second Division Pairs – Sunset Rollers
- Premier Teams League – Villans
- First Division Teams – Spinners
- Tuesday Morning League – Villans.
This then brings us to the end of a very successful season which has seen a number of promising new players emerge and show that they will be a force to reckon with in the future.
Last week I mentioned that our Annual General Meeting was to be on the 27th March but sadly due to recent events it has been postponed and we will announce the new date as soon as we are in a position to do so.
In the penultimate round of the Indoor Bowling Association Premier Pairs on Monday 9th March, we saw Young Guns beat Northern Nomads 4-0 while Cheesemakers lost 4-0 to Tee Pegs and Orange Peelers and Radical Heads played out a 2-2 draw. The remaining team in the League Villans had a bye so this now leaves Young Guns top of the league on 46 points with Villans second on 42 points and Cheesemakers third with 39 points. Whilst I would normally just look at the top three I am going to cover all the league positions this week and we have Tee Pegs fourth with 34 points, GLS fifth with 29 points and then anyone of the teams below them could end in the bottom relegation place. In sixth place, we have Radical Heads on 21 points and in seventh place Northern Nomads also on 21 points followed by TOU and Orange Peelers both on 20 points.
I will continue my review of the remaining leagues which have now finished with a look back at the highly successful Tuesday Morning League which was won by Villans who were followed by Cushags and Ellan Vannin. I think we need to look at the true measure of Villans performance in this league as in the eighteen games played they won the first seventeen and drew the last one with Ellan Vannin. In doing this they amassed 94 points which saw them finish 25 points ahead of second-placed Cushags with an overall chalk difference of +355 while Cushags had a chalk difference of +24. A lot of credit though must go to Cushags for their well earned second place and although they are very competitive they are always a pleasure to play against and really seem to enjoy their bowling. Ellan Vannin in third place played well all season as ever and a special mention must go to Smooth Matters who were new to Indoor Bowling and improved throughout the season and achieved their aim not to finish bottom and hopefully come back next season to finish in a much higher position.
The First Division Team League was won by Spinners who won ten out of their fourteen games which saw them finish with 56 points and in second place came Maxums with 46 points and in third place were Smugglers who also finished with 46 points. It was nice to see three new teams in this league this year and we saw rapid improvement throughout the season from CAOS, Cowley Cannonballs and Girl Power.
Finally this week I would like to remind all members of the Isle of Man Indoor Bowling Association that the Annual General Meeting will be held at the NSC Bowls Hall on Friday 27th March at 6-30pm.
In a week that saw most Leagues finish their Indoor Bowling season, we saw some great bowling and one title still to be won.
The Premier Pairs League is the one which will run until 16th March and this saw Villans and Young Guns battle to a draw while Tee Pegs beat Orange Peelers 4-0 and GLS beat Radical Heads 3-1. In the final match of the night, there was a closely fought game between TOU and Northern Nomads which ended in a 2-2 draw.
First Division Pairs
The First Division Pairs saw top team Villa Boys beat second-placed Spinners 4-0 while third-placed Unbelievabowls beat 1 in 4 also with a 4-0 result and Kencoe beat Enigma 4-0. This then left Villa Boys top with 50 points, Spinners second on 38 points and Unbelievabowls third with 30 points.
Tuesday Morning League
In the final matches of the season in the Tuesday Morning League, we saw Champions Villans lose their 100% win record as they drew 3-3 with Ellan Vannin and second-placed Cushags also drew 3-3 with Thru the Gap. Ramsey Raiders beat Onchan Royals 4-2, Early Birds lost 6-0 to Maxums and Hillbillies beat Smooth Matters 4-2. The final positions then are Villans winners with 94 points, Cushags second on 69 points and Ellan Vannin third on 67 points.
With all the other Leagues finished this gives us a chance to cover the latest round of the Premier Pairs which was played just in time to be covered in this article. This saw Villans beat Northern Nomads 3-1 while Young Guns beat Radical Heads 4-0, GLS drew 2-2 with Tee Pegs and Cheesemakers beat Orange Peelers 4-0. With two matches left to go this leaves Villans top with 42 points followed by Young Guns also on 42 points and Cheesemakers third on 39 points. I have to say though that I think that Young Guns are now the favourites to win this league as Villans have a bye next week and Young Guns are unlikely to drop many points in their remaining two games.
I will end this week with a quick look back at the First Division and Second Division Pairs Leagues which have already finished and the performances of some of the teams in them.
First Division Pairs
In the First Division Pairs, we had an interesting battle between Spinners who had dropped down from the Premier Pairs the previous season and Villa Boys who were newly promoted from the Second Division. This was a relatively close thing up until the last three weeks when Spinners lost a few points and Villa Boys maintained their form to eventually win by twelve clear points.
Second Division Pairs
The Second Division Pairs was closely contested throughout the season and on the final night any one of three teams could have won it but it was Sunset Rollers who held their nerve to win the league by chalk difference over Reckless Rollers with Woodbourne Reds third. A special mention must go to Cowley Cannonballs who were complete newcomers but improved well and eventually missed out on third spot by one point.
Now that the Tuesday morning league has finished, Round Robins will be held every Tuesday morning – 10 am start.
After the latest round of the Indoor Bowling Season we have just one League left to be decided with that being the Premier Pairs which we will start with. This saw leaders Young Guns draw with Cheesemakers while Villans beat Radical Heads 4-0 to move into top spot. Northern Nomads lost 4-0 to GLS and TOU also lost 4-0 to Orange Peelers. This then sees Villans in first place with 37 points, Young Guns second on 36 points and Cheesemakers third with 35 points.
First Division Pairs
In the First Division Pairs we saw Villa Boys who were newly promoted from the Second Division at the beginning of the season make it two promotions in two seasons by beating 1 in 4 with a 4-0 score line while second placed Spinners lost 3-1 to Kencoe. In the remaining match of the night Unbelievabowls beat Enigma 4-0 leaving Villa Boys as the league winners on 46 points followed by Spinners on 38 points and Unbelievabowls third on 26 points.
Second Division Pairs
The final night of the Second Division Pairs started with three teams having a chance of winning the title of Champions and we saw leaders Sunset Rollers beat third placed Woodbourne Reds 4-0 and second placed Reckless Rollers beat the Sensibles 4-0 while Cowley Cannonballs also had a 4-0 victory over Smooth Matters. This meant that both Sunset Rollers and Reckless Rollers ended on 34 points but as Sunset Rollers had a chalk difference of 90 and their opponents a chalk difference of 64 the league positions ended Sunsets Rollers top followed by Reckless Rollers with Woodbourne Reds third on 28 points.
In the Premier Teams Villans who had already won the League beat second placed Cheesemakers 4-2 while DNA lost 4-2 to TBC and Ramsey Raiders beat Saltire 6-0. The top three then at the end of Premier Team season is Villans as Champions with Cheesemakers second and TBC third.
First Division Teams
The First Division Teams final evening saw long time leaders Spinners take the title by beating Cowley Cannonballs 6-0 while second placed Maxums lost 4-2 to Okay, CAOS beat Odd Balls 4-2 and Girl Power lost 4-2 to Smugglers. This meant that Spinners win the league on 56 points followed by Maxums on 46 points and Smugglers third also on 46 points.
Tuesday Morning League
In the Tuesday Morning League Villans who had already won the league beat Onchan Royals 6-0, Cushags lost 4-2 to Ellan Vannin and Thru the Gap beat Early Birds 4-2. Hillbillies and Maxums played out a 3-3 draw and finally Smooth Matters lost 4-2 to Ramsey Raiders. This meant that the top we have Villans with 91 points with Cushags second on 66 points and Ellan Vannin third on 64 points.
Week 13 of the Indoor Bowls Premier Team League may have been unlucky for Villans as they were beaten 5-1 by Ramsey Raiders but it still proved successful for them as the 1 point that they picked up was enough for them to seal their second League win of the season. We also saw Cheesemakers seal second spot as they drew 3-3 with TBC. In the remaining match of the night Birdies were beaten 6-0 by DNA with this all meaning that Villans then take the League win with 51 points followed by Cheesemakers on 43 points and in third place are TBC with 36 points.
First Division Team
In the First Division Teams the leaders Spinners beat CAOS 4-2 while Maxums 6-0 win over Cowley Cannonballs gave them an outside chance of taking the title but it would mean them winning 6-0 and Spinners losing 6-0 to Cowley Cannonballs in the one remaining match of the season. In the other matches a great performance from Girl Power saw them defeat Odd Balls 6-0 and Okay lost 4-2 to Smugglers. The League positions with only 1 match to go are Spinners top with 50 points followed by Maxums on 44 points and Smugglers third with 42 points.
In the Premier Pairs Young Guns beat GLS 4-0, Cheesemakers drew 2-2 with TOU, Villans also drew 2-2 with Tee Pegs and Radical Heads beat Northern Nomads 4-0. This leaves Young Guns top on 34 points followed by Villans and Cheesemakers both on 33 points so we are all looking forward to a great end of season battle for top spot.
First Division Pairs
In the First Division Pairs the top placed Villa Boys beat Enigma 4-0, second placed Spinners had a 4-0 victory over 1 in 4 and Unbelievabowls lost 3-1 to Kencoe. This left Villa Boys top on 42 points, Spinners second on 37 points and Unbelievabowls third on 22 points.
Second Division Pairs
Some great bowling in the penultimate night of the Second Division Pairs left three teams in the running for the League win on the last evening of their season. Reckless Rollers drew 2-2 with Cowley Cannonballs while Woodbourne Reds beat Smooth Matters 4-0 and Girl Power drew 2-2 with the Sensibles and Sunset Rollers had a bye. This leaves Sunset Rollers top on 30 points followed by Reckless Rollers also on 30 points and Woodbourne Reds third on 28 points and all with a chance of winning the League in the final fixtures of the season. In this the leaders Sunset Rollers play third placed Woodbourne Reds and second placed Reckless Rollers play the Sensibles so we are looking forward to an exciting nights bowling on Friday night.
Tuesday Morning League
Finally we take a brief look at the Tuesday Morning League where Villans, who have already taken the title, beat Smooth Matters 6-0, Thru the Gap beat Maxums 4-2, and Onchan Royals defeated Ellan Vannin also 4-2. Hillbillies lost 4-2 to Ramsey Raiders and Cushags beat Early Birds 4-2 leaving Villans top on 85 points followed by Cushags on 64 and in third place Ellan Vannin on 60 points.