World Bowls & International Indoor Bowls Council Media Release
2021 World Bowls Indoor Championships Cancelled
With Coronavirus (Covid 19) continuing to be a major threat globally World Bowls along with its partners the International Indoor Bowls Council and Bowls Australia have after much discussion agreed to cancel the 2021 World Indoor Championships originally planned to be held in Australia.
As with all world championships they must be held in a climate which would ensure the best chance for competing countries to attend and send their elite players. The current restrictions of travel arrangements and quarantine periods would not allow that to happen.
World Bowls and its partners would like to convey their thanks to all stakeholders involved in determining this course of action which has been taken in the best interests of athletes, administrators, volunteers and spectators whose safety remains paramount in any decision making process.
The World Bowls Indoor Championships are scheduled to be rotated between the U.K. and Australia and we now look forward to the 2022 Championships which will be held in the U.K.
Saturday round robins
In the light of the cancellation, Saturday 3rd October will revert to a Round Robin Roll Up. Please arrive by 1.15 to check in for a 1.30 start.
An Extraordinary General Meeting has been called for Wednesday 8 July, 6 pm in the NSC Bowls Hall.
To cover the business intended for the 2020 AGM, namely…
- Welcome address
- Message from NSC Manager
- Minutes of the 2019 AGM
- Matters arising
- Treasurer’s Annual Report
- Matters arising
- Appointment of Auditor
- President’s Annual Report
- Presentation of League Trophies
- Annual Subscriptions
- Affiliation to the International Indoor Bowls Council
- Election of officers:-
- President – Win Kewley willing to re-stand
- Treasurer – Bernice McGreal willing to re-stand
- Secretary – Dee Lewis willing to re-stand
- Fixtures Officer – Tony Dugdale willing to re-stand
- Press Officer – Norman Kneen willing to re-stand
- Website Manager – Paula Garrett willing to re-stand
- Safeguarding Office – David Quirk willing to re-stand
- IIBC reps
The Committee proposes several revisions to the Constitution to bring it up to date and fit for purpose:
- 3 – Reference to World Indoor Bowls Council to be replaced by ‘World Bowls’.
- 4 – Insertion of the word ‘league’ to clarify which members are required to hold an annual contract with the NSC.
- 6 – Safeguarding Officer and Website Manager added to Committee Roles along with a requirement that the Committee should number 7 in case any of the roles are combined in the future.
- 6a – A requirement that the roles of President, Treasurer and Secretary should always be undertaken by 3 separate individuals to ensure good governance.
- 6e – The levels of Honoraria to be proposed and approved at each AGM.
- 13 – The AGM notice should be posted ‘at least’ 28 days in advance.
- 14 – Any motions for the AGM to be submitted by ‘the date shown on the AGM notice’.
- 15 – Replacement of WIBC with ‘IIBC’ and insertion of ‘up to’ £200 travel cost donation in line with receipts provided.
- General – re-numbering.
Proposed by Dee Lewis; Seconded by Win Kewley.
- Any other business – to include discussion and indications of interest in the following:
- The introduction of a Singles Qualifying Competition at the start of the season to select our playing representatives for the World Indoor Bowls Championships since the venue for this event is now to be alternated between Australia and England.
- The amalgamation of the current three Pairs Leagues into two and the introduction of a Friday morning Pairs League and a Friday evening Singles League.
- The appointment of an Island Games Selection Panel.
NSC Bowls Hall
Covid-19 Customer Information
Issue Date: Friday 12th June 2020
General Customer Guidelines
- If you have Covid 19 or flu symptoms stay at home.
- NSC changing rooms remain closed. Please ensure you are ready to participate when you arrive (with the exception of changing footwear).
- Toilets are available in the Lower atrium near the lift.
- Maintain social distancing measures throughout your visit.
- Use hand sanitation at the entrance and exit of the facility.
- Follow all signage and direction from staff, keeping to the left of corridors.
- Bring your own drinks in sealed water containers, water fountains are not in use at this time.
- If you feel unwell or sustain an injury, tell a member of staff immediately
- Arrive 10 minutes before your session starts to check in at reception
- All customers MUST have an MSR Scorecard with up to date personal information recorded on the NSC system for contact tracing purposes (should it be required).
- Customers must book in advance and have a confirmed time slot prior to attending.
- You may book up to 7 days in advance via the NSC Reception team on 688588 or via the online booking portal using your MSR Scorecard (msr.gov.im).
- If the fire alarm sounds, exit the building via the Bowls Hall Fire Exits or if in the corridor the nearest available Fire Exit.
- After your session, you will be required to leave the NSC via the rear exit to avoid unnecessary contact with other customers.
Bowls Specific Information
- Only rinks 1, 3 & 5 will be in operation at this time to permit space to allow social distancing.
- Each rink in use may be occupied by a maximum of 4 people playing in singles or pairs format subject to an overall maximum of l0 persons being in the Bowls Hall during any one session.
- If 4 players are using one rink; the 2 bowlers at each end must be from the same household.
- All bowlers must maintain social distancing when changing ends by using the vacant rinks or walkways.
- At this time the NSC Bowls Equipment cupboard will be locked and out of use. Please use your own bowls and shoes.
- NSC Jacks and Mats will be available next to a sanitising area in the Bowls Hall.
- If using NSC Jack / Mat, players will be responsible for disinfecting the equipment before and after use (cleaning materials available in the hall).
- Players to ensure equipment is not shared during their session, including:
- Ensuring you do not hand anyone a bowl or remove others’ bowls from the ditch.
- Using separate Jacks so only you are handling your own Jack.
- No shared measuring equipment to be used
- When carrying the mat to the opposite end of the rink after each end, the same person should do this each time
- If you already have a locker allocated to you inside the Bowls hall this may be used to store equipment (in line with the NSC Locker Policy).
- Only pre-booked Bowlers are permitted in the Bowls Hall at this time – no spectators.
- Please end your session at 50 minutes past the hour to ensure time to disinfect any Mats and Jacks, change shoes and be out of the hall prior to the arrival of the customers in the next session.
June 2020 Bowls Hall Opening Times
||09.00 – 11.00
14.00 – 19.00
|09.00 – 20.00
|14.00 – 16.00
18.00 – 20.00
|09.00 – 17.00
|09.00 – 20.00
|11.00 – 17.00
|11.00 – 17.00
There will be no additional charge for Annual Ticket Holders to use the Bowls Hall at this time. All customers Bowls Hall Memberships will be ‘unfrozen’ from Monday 12th June and their end date will be extended for a period of 12 weeks (the length of the COVID-19 Closure).
Customers who do not hold an Annual Ticket but do have an MSR Scorecard may book in as a Guest Bowler at a cost of £4.65 per session.
Card Payments only at this time please
(If Card cannot be used correct cash will be accepted – no change given)
You may book up to 7 days in advance via the NSC Reception team on 688588 or via the online booking portal using your MSR Scorecard (msr.gov.im). You must quote your MSR Scorecard Number (688588…) in order to make your booking.
Please note – in order to set up online bookings you will be required to have an MSR Scorecard and your email address accurately recorded on the NSC database (please email email@example.com to set this up)
This year’s AGM is postponed due to coronavirus, and the closure of the NSC facilities.
Now that the Tuesday morning league has finished, Round Robins will be held every Tuesday morning – 10 am start.
Good afternoon everyone
Congratulations to our Champions and to all who took part in the last 3 weeks of Championship bowls.
- Singles Champions are Paula Garrett and Mark McGreal
- Pairs – David Quirk and Dee Lewis
- Triples – Janice Pilling, Bernice and Clive McGreal
Well done everyone and many thanks to all who organised and/or came to support, mark, umpire and assist.
This is a reminder that the evening league matches re-commence tonight so we all need to get back to the business of working our way up the tables or, for the favoured few, preserving top spot! League trophies will be presented at the AGM.
The 2020 IOMIBA Annual General Meeting will be held at the NSC Bowls Hall on Friday, 27th March at 6.30pm. All motions for consideration and nominations for committee should be forwarded to me no later than 1st March 2020.
With the Indoor Bowling Championships moving into the second week of the qualifying rounds we saw the Pairs being played and producing some shock results.
In a very tight match we saw some great bowls in the quarter final match between reigning Champions Clive and Mark McGreal and the less experienced pairing of Mike Ashmole and Peter Greenlees which ended in a victory for the latter pair. The next of the quarter finals again went to the less experienced players at Indoor Bowls with Shaun Seal and Ian Moore defeating Bernice McGreal and Janice Pilling while the in form pair of David Quirk and Dee Lewis beat Jimmy Sansom and Phil Kerruish. In the final match of the night we saw Mike Skelly and Phil Watterson beaten by Marcia Pearson and Muriel Cain.
The semi finals on the following night started with the question being would Ashmole and Greenlees retain their previous nights great form against Seal and Moore but with the latter pair starting well and piling on the pressure it was the Seal/Moore pairing that qualified for the Final. In the other semi final Marcia Pearson and Muriel Cain started as favourites against David Quirk and Dee Lewis but with Quirk playing some good lead bowls and ‘skip’ Lewis coming up with some fantastic saving shots they proved to be too good on the night for the Pearson/Cain duo.
The Pairs Final then on the 1st February sees Shaun Seal and Ian Moore take on David Quirk and Dee Lewis and we hope to see a great match with the question being can the very experienced David Quirk use his great knowledge of the game to bring his team victory or will the Seal/Moore pair who currently lead the Second Division Pairs League manage to snatch the win from their Premier Pairs League opposition?
Whatever happens on Finals Day great credit must go Dee Lewis, Shaun Seal and Ian Moore who are all relatively new to Indoor Bowling and have made great improvements in their skill levels this season.
The event continues through the week with more Men’s qualifying on Wednesday evening and then both Ladies and Men’s Quarter Finals on Thursday and all Semi Finals on Friday.
There has been a slight amendment to the time schedule for Finals Day on this Saturday 1st February with the Triples Event now starting at 12-15 pm, the Pairs at 2-15pm and both Ladies and Men’s Singles being played at 4-00 pm. These timings may vary slightly and it is hoped to have a short break between the Pairs and Singles matches.
Here are the results of the preliminary round of the pairs:
Championship pairs prelim results 2020
Here are the results from the quarter finals of the 2020 Triples Championship
Triples championship quarter finals
Here are the results from the first night’s play of the 2020 Triples Championship
Triples 1st round results 2020